Author: Ipshita Chakraborty
In an analytics interview, multiple skills are assessed by the organizations. Some of the skills required and assessed by the interviewers are
- Logical Thinking
- Technical Tool Skills: SAS/R/Python
- Statistical/Machine Learning Techniques
- Functional or Industry Expertise
- Analytical Frameworks and Applications
One of the ways to assess candidates on Logical Thinking is by giving analytical puzzles or case studies. Some of the puzzles asked in the interviews are listed below.
Puzzle 1:Cake Cutting Puzzle - There is a birthday cake and it needs to be cut into 8 equal pieces in exactly 3 cuts. How will you do it?
Step 1 – First cut the cake horizontally down the center and then vertically through the center. This will give 4 equal pieces.
Step 2 – Stack the 4 pieces one above the other to make a pile, then in the 3rd cut just cut through them into half. The result will be 8 equal pieces of cake.
Puzzle 2:Water and Jug Puzzles
There can be several variants to this problem. Usually there will be two jugs with pre-determined water holding capacity and the puzzle will be around measuring a certain number of liters / gallons of water using the jugs. The number will be an exact figure and there will be no weighing scales. So it will need to be done by juggling around with the two given jugs. Multiple rounds of filling and emptying is the key to solving this puzzle. Let’s look at two examples below –
Sub-Puzzle 1: You have two jugs – one of 4 liters and the other of 5 liters. You need to pour exactly 7 liters of water in a bucket. How will you do it?
- Step 1 – Fill the 5L jug with water and empty into the 4L jug. It will be left with 1L water. Pour it into the bucket. Empty out the 4L jug.
- Step 2 – Repeat the above step, that way there will be 2L water in the bucket
- Step 3 – Fill the 5L jug with water and empty into the bucket. So now it will have 2L+5L=7L water
Sub-Puzzle 2: You have two jugs – one of 3 liters and the other of 5 liters. You need to measure exactly 4 liters of water using only those jugs. How will you do it?
- Step 1 – Fill the 5L jug with water and empty into the 3L jug, so the 5L jug is left with 2L water
- Step 2 – Next empty out 3L jug and pour the 2L water into it from the 5L jug. So the 3L jug has 2L and needs 1L more to be filled completely
- Step 3 – Next fill the 5L jug again and pour 1L into the 3L jug. So what is left in it is 4L water.
If you are looking for more puzzles. We are looking forward to hear from you on the interview puzzles.